For the purposes of this policy, ‘personal information’ means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
If you have any questions or feedback about this policy or the way in which Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy handles personal information you can contact us on the details below. You can also request a hard copy of this policy using the details below.
What types of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information that we collect about you will depend on the type of dealings you have with us. For example, if you:
- seek theoretical practice guidance, we may collect your name, contact details, details of your guardian (if applicable), financial details (if necessary to confirm your eligibility for our services), information about your circumstances, and information about the matter you are seeking assistance with
- provide theoretical practice guidance to our clients, we may collect your name, organisation and contact details
- become a supporter of Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy, we may collect your name, organisation, contact details and confirm whether you are a student.
- register for a subscription to a Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy publication, we may collect your name, organisation and contact details and details about the information you access in our publications
- make a donation to Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy, we may collect your name, organisation, contact details, the amount and frequency of your donation and payment details.
- attend a professional development or training program or attend another Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy, we may collect your name, organisation, contact details, payment details (if applicable) and any dietary and accessibility requirements
- participate in our surveys, we may collect your name, organisation contact details and your survey responses
- download an Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy precedent from our website or use a web application, we may collect your name, organisation and contact details and details of the precedent you downloaded or web application that you used
- send us an enquiry, we may collect your name, contact details, information about your circumstances and details of your query
- make a complaint, we may collect your name, contact details, the details of your complaint, information collected in any investigation of the matter and details of the resolution of the complaint
- apply for a role at Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy, we may collect the information you include in your application, including your cover letter, resume, contact details and referee report
Some personal information, such as information relating to racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or affiliations, health information (including mental health information and information about a disability), genetic information and whether or not you have a criminal record is sensitive and requires a higher level of protection under the Privacy Act. We may collect your sensitive information when we have your consent and when the collection is reasonably necessary for us to carry out one or more of our functions or activities.
Sensitive information is generally relevant to an assessment of whether a person is eligible for our legal services, and is relevant for the delivery of legal services.
Why do we collect personal information?
The main purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information are set out below.
Providing professional development services
- assessing whether clients meet our acceptance criteria
- determining whether clients have any special needs, such as an interpreter or disability assistance
Education and information
- providing information or resources
- running professional development programs
- running community training programs
- seeking funding and donations
- organising fundraising events
- reporting to funding providers
- recruiting staff, contractors and volunteers
- processing payments
- answering queries and resolving complaints
- evaluating our work and reporting externally
Direct marketing is the promotion of goods and services directly to you including through emails, SMS, phone calls and the post. We will only send you direct marketing materials if you would reasonably expect to receive them or you have consented. If it is impractical to gain your consent, we will always provide a simple means for you to request not to receive the material (‘opting out’). We will not use your sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing unless you have given us prior consent.
You can opt out of receiving marketing communications from us by:
- using the unsubscribe facility that we include in our commercial electronic messages (such as email and SMS) to opt out of receiving those messages, or
- by sending a letter (ISAT PO Box 174; Apollo Bay 3233; Australia)
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
The nature of the services provided by Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy means that it is often necessary for us to disclose your personal information to other parties. We will ordinarily let you know who we will disclose your personal information to when we collect the information from you (unless there are practical reasons for not informing you).
Common third parties we might need to disclose your personal information to include:
- the legal providers that give legal assistance to Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy
- Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy partners (with your consent)
- other professional development providers (for file audit purposes)
- our funding providers (although personal information will only be provided with consent)
- financial institutions for payment processing
- referees whose details are provided to us by job applicants
- our contracted service providers which include:
- information technology service providers
- conference, function and training organisers
- marketing, communications and research agencies
- freight and courier services
- printers and distributors of direct marketing material
- external business advisers (such as recruitment advisors, auditors and lawyers)
- A court (for obtaining copies of documents relevant to your matter)
In the case of these contracted service providers, we may disclose personal information to the service provider and the service provider may in turn provide us with personal information collected from you in the course of providing the relevant products or services
Storage and security of the information we hold
We hold personal information in both hard copy and electronic formats. Paper files are stored in secure cabinets onsite. They may also be archived in boxes and stored offsite in secure facilities.
If you are a client, we will return any of your original documents that we have to you when your matter has been finalised. Copies of your documents will remain on your file with us and will generally be kept for 7 years after the date that your file has been closed.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we use the recommended industry standards when storing and dealing with your personal information. We use a secure server using the latest 128-bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption technology to process any financial transactions.
The steps we take to secure the personal information we hold include:
- website protection measures (such as encryption, firewalls and anti-virus software)
- access restrictions to our computer systems (such as login and password protection)
- restricted access to our office premises
- staff training and implementation of workplace policies and procedures that cover access, storage and security of information.
While Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy strives to protect the personal information and privacy of users of our website, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you disclose online and you disclose that information at your own risk. If you are concerned about sending your information over the internet, you can contact Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy by telephone or post (details under ‘Contacting Us’).
You can also help to protect the privacy of your personal information by letting us know as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breach.
Third party websites
Links to third party websites that are not operated or controlled by Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy are provided for your convenience. Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of those websites. Third party websites should have their own privacy and security policies, which we encourage you to read before supplying any personal information to them.
If you have a complaint about how Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy has collected or handled your personal information, please contact the Institute for Sensorimotor Art Therapy at email@example.com.
If you are unhappy with our response, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner or, in some instances, other regulatory bodies, such as the Victorian Privacy Commissioner or the Victorian Health Services Commissioner.
Updated 31 January 2019